Preparation time10 minutes
Cooking time15 minutes
Recipe courtesy ofCaroline Trickey, Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD)
|1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil|
|1 large red onion, diced|
|3 cloves garlic, crushed|
|3 tsp Mexican spice mix* (or 1 tsp each ground cumin, oregano and chilli powder)|
|2 sticks celery, diced|
|2 medium carrots, diced|
|2 zucchinis, diced|
|200g (4-5 approximately) Portabello mushrooms|
|453g jar mild chunky salsa|
|400g tin corn, drained, or 1½ cups frozen corn|
|400g tin crushed tomatoes|
|400g tin kidney beans, cannellini beans or chickpeas, drained|
|400g tin lentils (or ½ cup red lentils, rinsed - but add 1 extra cup of stock and allow an extra 10 minutes cooking time)|
|2-3 vegetable stock cubes or concentrated stock|
|handful baby spinach leaves|
|TO SERVE (not included in nutritional information)|
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. When hot add oil and onion and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, zucchini and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add salsa, corn, tomatoes, both tins of beans, lentils and stock.
- Place lid on pot and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 5-8 minutes, until veggies (and lentils) are cooked.
- Turn heat off and stir baby spinach leaves through.
- Serve with coriander, avocado, lime and corn chips - or any other way you prefer!
|Engery||1216kJ (291 calories)|