To work overseas as a dietitian, you may need to complete a skills recognition process. Skills recognition ensures your qualifications and experience meet the standards of a country. You may also need a visa or work permit.

A mutual recognition agreement simplifies the process of assessing your qualifications. It recognises your training and experience as eligible to work in the country.

Dietitians Australia has a mutual recognition agreement with New Zealand. The College of Dietitians of Ontario Canada also recognises the training of Australian Accredited Practising Dietitians (APDs).

Australian-qualified dietitians looking to work overseas

Contact the appropriate Dietetic Association or Registration Board. A list of International Dietetic Associations is available at

Dietitians Australia members can join the Working Overseas Interest Group. The group provides up-to-date information and a place to talk about working overseas.

Overseas-qualified dietitians who want to work in Australia

To work in Australia, most employers will ask you to have:

  • Dietetic Skills Recognition (DSR)
  • Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD)

We can help with skills recognition for dietitians who want to work in Australia. Learn more about the process for overseas dietitians to have their skills recognised.

Get in touch

If you have questions about mutual recognition of dietetic skills, contact us at

Discover our skills recognition services for dietitians to migrate to or work in Australia, including Dietetic Skills Recognition (DSR) and skills assessments.
We're Australia's official skills assessing authority for dietitians. If you want to work in Australia, you can apply to us for a skills migration assessment.
Accredited Practising Dietitians (APDs) are Australia's most trusted dietetics professionals. Find out the benefits of becoming an APD and how to join the APD Program.