Super protein minestrone
Recipe courtesy of Christina Ross, Accredited Practising Dietitian
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 leek, finely sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 carrot, finely diced
2 celery sticks, finely diced
1 zucchini, finely diced
1.5L (6 cups) salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
400g can diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup lentils, quinoa or beans
½ bunch silverbeet or kale, stalks removed and roughly chopped
Parmesan cheese, grated to serve
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||1178 kJ (282 calories)|
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan, along with the onion, leek and garlic. Stir until fragrant.
2. Add the carrot, celery and zucchini, stirring until the vegetables soften.
3. Add the stock, canned tomatoes and tomato paste, and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the lentils, quinoa or beans and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the silverbeet or kale, and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with grated Parmesan cheese and more cracked pepper.
Cook a big batch of this filling soup on the weekend, and portion into individual containers that can be refrigerated or frozen, for ready-to-go work lunches and comforting dinners.