Wholesome lentil curry
Recipe courtesy of Joyce Haddad, APD
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium brown onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
500g frozen stir fry vegetable mix
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium zucchinis, sliced
2 tbsp curry paste of your choice (red/green/yellow)
1/4 cup water
1 can (400g) light coconut milk
1 can (400g) lentils, rinsed and drained
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or to liking)
16 whole raw almonds, to serve
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||1595 kJ (381 calories)|
- Heat oil in pan over high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until they soften.
- Add frozen veg mix with the carrots and zucchini, and stir around for about 3 – 5 minutes, or until the vegetables have defrosted and softened.
- Add the curry paste along with the coconut milk and water, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the lentils to the pan and mix well. Let the mixture simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the salt, herbs and spices and mix thoroughly. Let simmer for a further 5 minutes. If the mixture is too dry, add 1/4 cup water and mix.
- Sprinkle almonds over the mixture and mix well.
Serve with rice noodles, soba noodles, or basmati rice.
This recipe featured in the 2017 Australia’s Health Weight Week, APD Cookbook, created in collaboration with DAA and Nutrition Australia, ACT.