Monday 8 - Sunday 14 April 2024
What we eat profoundly affects not only our physical health, but our mental and brain health too. With 1 in 5 Australians living with poor mental health*, better access to Accredited Practising Dietitians is needed to deliver important dietary support.
Nourishing mind, body and brain is our call to put dietitians on Australia’s mental health agenda.
Dietitians Week is our annual opportunity to raise the profile of Accredited Practising Dietitians and the work they do for the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities.
#MindBodyBrain toolkit launching soon – watch this space for new and convenient ways to get involved.
Nourishing mind, body and brain - a dietitian can help
Mental health and physical health and wellbeing go hand in hand and need to be treated together. On top of physical benefits, studies show that seeking mental health support from a dietitian can lead to:
- Improved mood, increases of productivity, focus and less fatigue
- Reduced symptoms of anxiety, stress, depression, sleep disorders, OCD, PTSD and ADHD
- Reduced side effects from medications for psychotropic medications
Our nutrition experts must become recognised as crucial to mental health support teams. Dietitians Week is our opportunity to educate and drive transformative change.
Your #MindBodyBrain toolkit is coming soon, All new resources and easy to follow instructions make getting involved even more convenient this year.
No matter how much time you have to dedicate, there's a way to make a difference.
How to get involved in Dietitians Week
‘Nourishing mind, body and brain’ is about raising the profile of dietitians in the minds of those who have the power to refer, to educate and to drive change. Whether you're supportive of the work of nutrition professionals, or a dietitian, follow our lead.
Your #MindBodyBrain toolkit (coming soon!) will be your recipe for getting involved in an impactful way:
- Write to your Member of Parliament – urge them to act on the undeniable evidence linking dietary therapy and improved mental and physical wellbeing, and advocate for improved access to dietitians. Share your unique perspective, or use our letter template to help!
- Promote at your local GP or allied health clinic - ask them to display a Nurturing mind, body and brain poster in their waiting room and educate them by handing them a factsheet.
- Use the ready-to-go branded resources in your #MindBodyBrain toolkit (coming soon!) – whether you post our logo or your favourite nutrition and mental health fact to social media, share flyers or factsheets with other health professionals and leaders in your community, or contact your local media outlet to advocate, no action has no impact.
About Dietitians Week
Dietitians Week is an annual public awareness campaign, developed by Dietitians Australia and supported by Accredited Practising Dietitians around the country.
Our Nourishing mind, body and brain call amplifies our leading voice to improve health and wellbeing, transform lives, and drive change for the better.
Find out more
For queries about Dietitians Week contact email@example.com
*Australian Bureau of Statistics (2020-2022) National Study of Mental Health and Wellbeing