Submitted to the National Preventative Health Taskforce, the Department of Health (April 2021).
The Australian Government released a draft National Preventive Health Strategy (NPHS) in April 2021.
The strategy recognises the essential role food and nutrition play in good health. It proposes systemic changes that will make it easier for Australians to adopt healthy diets.
The NPHS has the potential to deliver many health, environmental and productivity benefits to Australians. But an update to the 1992 National Food and Nutrition Policy is also needed.
For the strategy to work, it needs to:
- make healthier foods cheaper and easier to access
- boost investment in Australia’s food production sector, focusing on healthier foods
- foster and encourage social connections through food
- increase spending on preventive health
We approve of the foundations and goals of the strategy. However, we have given some recommendations.
Download our full submission.
For more, read our:
- media release about the National Preventive Health Strategy
- joint position paper calling for an up-to-date National Nutrition Strategy
Get in touch
If you have questions about this submission, contact us at email@example.com