Developed by members of the Dietitians Australia Vegetarian Interest Group.
It lists the skills and knowledge of APDs in this area of practice.
- Understanding of various reasons which motivate people to choose a vegetarian diet.
- Knowledge of different types of vegetarian dietary patterns which include/exclude animal foods to different extents.
- Knowledge of plant-based foods and their nutritional benefits.
- An understanding of nutritional requirements impacted by vegetarian/plant-based diets during various stages of the lifecycle.
- Knowledge of chronic diseases that are benefited by plant-based foods and vegetarian/plant based dietary patterns.
- Practical meal planning advice and knowledge of wholefoods and proprietary foods commonly promoted to vegetarians.
- Non-judgemental attitude with respect to an individual’s choice to follow a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- Nutritional assessment to screen for and identify limiting nutrients on a plant-based diet.
- Counselling skills to empower or assist clients to adopt nutritionally balanced plant based diets or meat-free meals.
- Practical skills to plan, shop for and prepare plant-based meals and contemporary vegetarian menus.
Activities entry level APDs would conduct
- Provide dietetic consultations for individuals, couples and families following or wishing to adopt, a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- Plan vegetarian and vegan menus for individuals and institutional food services.
Activities APDs working at a higher level would conduct
- Provide plant-based food and nutrition consultancy services to corporations, governments and NGO’s.
- Provide expert advice and commentary on plant-based foods and dietary patterns to media channels.
For more, download the full role statement. The full statement includes a list of document references.
Get in touch
If you have questions about this role statement, contact us at email@example.com
Our role statements describe the skills and knowledge of an APD working in an area of practice.
Dietitians treat a range of health conditions. They understand how nutrition affects the body and will give you expert nutrition and dietary advice.