What can I do if I am worried that a friend has an eating disorder?

Eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia are very serious medical conditions. Psychological factors play a major part in their development and existence.

Eating disorders are especially commin during adolescence and young adulthood. Although eating disorders are more common in females, they can also occur in males, and these rates are increasing.

People with an eating disorder or suspected eating disorder need to seek professional help. If you think a family member has an eating disorder it is extremely important that you support them in getting the help they need.

An Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) will work as part of a team with other health professionals such as a psychiatrists, clinical psychologists and/or general practitioners to treat the disorder.

If you suspect someone may have an eating disorder, the Eating Disorders Victoria suggests that you:

  • Choose the most appropriate person to raise the concerns, such as someone who cares for that person and can help them with ongoing support
  • Learn more about eating disorders and available treatment options in your community
  • Seek support from a GP, psychologist or APD.
An Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) can offer counselling, support and advice about eating.